YDATL Blog
NOTE: The opinions expressed by our individual bloggers are their own, and not necessarily those of Young Democrats of Atlanta.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Stand your ground
Today's bloggerPicture this: It's Saturday morning and I'm getting ready for this credential meeting in Macon and about to go pick Will Curry up so we can ride together for this lovely meeting of ours. I'm sitting at the Starbucks on 14th drinking my Vanilla Latte and eating a little something when lo and behold I open the AJC and what did my eyes see, but the Senate passing SB 396. I think to myself, there has to be some mistake. Surely, those people can't be that stupid, but I assure you they really are just that dumb. For those who don't know what SB 396 is and what it does it's the "Stand Your Ground" bill. That means people like myself if they feel threatened they can shoot the other person and not get penalized for it. It's the act first ask questions later bill. I think it's crazy. My friend Nikema always tells me that I'm frazzled; I would have to disagree with her most of the time, but there moments where like most of you I get frazzled from time to time. That means people like myself who get frazzled could be carrying guns and shooting people because they feel threatened. This makes me scared. SB 396 is one gun law we can do without. This is a scene that keeps running through my head. There will be some woman walking down the street late night and some homeless person will approach her to ask for food or money. She will feel "threatened" shoot the homeless person and no one will care because its a homeless person who dies. What if I mistakenly threaten someone and then they shoot me? The NRA seems to think this bill stands on the side of victims and not the criminals. Huh! How does it stand for the victims? If you shoot your would-be attacker then you aren't victim are you. I just don't get it! I have no problem with anyone defending themselves. Heck! I would hope that if I ever found myself in that situation I would defend myself, but it seems to me that this particular law gives way to much latitude to the term "threatened". Its just another bill that the Republicans passed so they can appeal to their gun right voters in an election year. How many more days do we have until this legislative session is over and how many months to do we have until we take back both houses and the Governor's House? I'm not sure how much more I can stomach. Shoot first and ask questions later is exactly what this state needs. Oh brother! Until next week!

Melissa Thompson
Membership Chair
del.icio.us digg Furl Ma.gnolia NewsVine Reddit Spurl YahooMyWeb

posted by Anonymous at 3/28/2006 11:11:00 AM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I know less about gun control than I know about ancient languages, and I haven't read Saturday's AJC b/c it hasn't been discounted at my local grocer yet. But even to me, this sounds disturbing. I do have some questions, though...

Does SB 396 apply to citizens who feel threatened on the street or in the children's section of their local bookstore? If so, how easy is it to acquire a permit to carry a concealed weapon? Does SB 396 protect "victims" who are carrying a weapon without a permit?

Once the shooting has been done and the victim has stood his/her ground, do they have the burden of proving that they had reason to feel threatened?

I've always thought that I should have the right to shoot an intruder in my home (which is odd since I don't own a gun or even know how to shoot one), even if I forgo the interview. Still, unsuspecting husbands have been killed this way.

I should probably read the AJC article myself, but I think it's easier to let you answer these questions for me, Melissa.

3/28/2006 12:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you imagine how this law is going to impact little league sports?

3/28/2006 12:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, little Johnny, don't cry. Daddy will watch the video of your game. You remember what happened to Uncle Fred don't you, when Larry's father thought he was a threat?

3/28/2006 12:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time to get a gun. I feel threatened by politicians who are selling out our country. (read Kia deal)

4/07/2006 09:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger


© 2007 Young Democrats of Atlanta.
| home | about | events | join | contribute | act! | blog | links |
Copyright 2003-2007, campaignwindow.com™
Find out how you can create your own political website!