YDATL Blog
NOTE: The opinions expressed by our individual bloggers are their own, and not necessarily those of Young Democrats of Atlanta.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

There is a difference: you lie
Today's bloggerMan oh man, I almost forgot what a double-edged sword it is to get in the newspaper. Publicity? Yay! Sounding like a retard? D'oh! Ah, well, there was a lot of information to cover in a short amount of time, and we're all very grateful to Kevin Duffy for reporting on a serious and growing political force among young Georgians. Let it shine, let it shine....

For those of you who haven't yet seen, the Young Democrats of Atlanta and of Georgia are featured in today's AJC: Underdog role OK to Young Democrats. You'll just have to trust me that my witty repartee sounded much cooler in context, and while I'm not sure how I feel about being defined entirely by drinking Guinness and backpacking in Ireland (did he just call me an elitist? o es que soy más macho?), I suppose there are worse things to be identified with.

Like telling tall tales to reporters! The real tough nugget to swallow in the article comes from our counterparts on the other side of the aisle. You see, Republicans want that "liberal mainstream media" to present things in a "fair and balanced" way, and by that they mean, "throw in some of our hot air for good measure."

So far, the Young Dems are not much of a force, according to Jason Shepherd, chairman of the rival Young Republicans of Georgia.

"This is the first time I've heard of any concerted effort by Young Democrats to get out for the candidates," Shepherd said.

Attempts by Young Repubs to set up a debate and a softball game with the Dems have failed, he said, which is a shame because "I don't think there's too much difference, except party allegiance, between the two groups."


Not much of a force, eh Jason? Tell that to Chip Pearson and his water-killing SB510. And don't act so surprised that Kevin Duffy wants to write us up, you knew this was coming. Don't you remember your Buckhead Young Republican newsletter from September '06?
Yesterday, the Buckhead and Atlanta YRs were contacted by Representative Harry Geisinger and Steve Schultz who is running for the seat held by retiring GOP Rep. Paul Jennings. Both of them need help this weekend for get out the vote and spreading their message.

These campaigns are being HEAVILY targeted by the Democrats and we will be competing in the districts with teams of Young Dems going door-to- door as well!
...
Sincerely,
Jason Shepherd
Chairman Emeritus, Buckhead Young Republicans


First you've heard indeed! Ah well, must've been so busy adding flash animation to the website for it to really stick in your noggin. But if you want to debate the issue, that's fine. C'mon, it'll be just like last time! Don't you remember?
Look at that, right there on the Atlanta YR website: four of our finest Young Dems debating four of yours. Sorry we never got back to you on the paintball game in '05, buddy, but you really don't want to put weapons in our hands while you're raiding children's health care.

So aside from party allegiance, there is a difference between the two groups, Shep. Many differences, in fact, and that helps us sleep at night. We don't want to shaft working families just so those of us with trustfunds can save a few hundred bucks a year on taxes; we don't want to endanger our environment and drinking water so our tycoon friends can whip up a new townhouse "enclave;" we don't need automatic assault rifles with silencers to hunt wildlife that voluntarily walks in front of cars (what kind of shots are you, anyway?); and we don't tell fibs to reporters when we haven't got a leg to stand on, Shep. Tsk, tsk.

Now let's go win one for the Gipper!
del.icio.us digg Furl Ma.gnolia NewsVine Reddit Spurl YahooMyWeb

posted by Aerodad at 1/25/2007 10:02:00 AM

12 Comments:

Blogger SkylerAkins said...

Benson Manica calls the state's Republican leadership "the Christian supremacist Taliban."

I cannot believe Benson would tell the AJC we think the GOP is the Christian Taliban. They must really think we're nuts. We all probably believe they are a little overhaul on some church-state issues, but we certainly shouldn't call them the TALIBAN!

If you're going to represent YDG in a media outlet, at least have some poise and professionalism Benson, How are we ever going to win in here in Georgia if our citizens think we're a bunch of Anti-Christian Liberals? Exactly we're not going to win with that attitude, Next time I'd advise you use some professionalism when talking on behalf of YDG, or if you think you can't contain your "anger" then don't say anything at all.

1/25/2007 11:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I wouldn't go gettin' your panties in such a wad over that little teensey bit of good 'ole southern hyperbole! Manica hon, we middle-aged Libertarian soccer moms (never to be confused with "librarians" of course) got your back on the Republican religious extremism gig. I saw it all with myself, again, just recently at the Dome. And yeah, it was ugly, ugly, ugly:

http://spaceygreview.blogspot.com/2007/01/jesus-kept-me-from-losing-it.html

1/25/2007 11:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, she has your back Benson, check it out at PP..

Love ya Spacey.. really... I'm a FOB ( friend of Bernita)

1/25/2007 11:48:00 AM  
Blogger Ataru Atlanta said...

Geez, this would have to come out today, when I'm already busy... *sigh*

Yeah, I shouldn't have said it at all. But A) I've never been interviewed for anything before and I let myself be suckered into saying something Bensonian, B) I didn't call "the Republican leadership" that, just people like Ralph Reed (who are not the leadership, thank God), and C) I naively believed - again, I've never dealt with the press before - that if I said "DON'T print what I just said" that it wouldn't get printed. So yeah, I'm sorry I said it, I was sorry I said it the night of the interview, but I couldn't exactly un-say it now could I? I apologize to everyone who ends up in trouble or looks bad because of that comment, and I feel bad about that, but please don't think I intended for that comment to be printed by any stretch. I'll definitely stick to written statements in the future.

1/25/2007 12:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reporter clearly didn't know anything. He didn't even capitalize the "A" in Angry Benson. Huh!

1/25/2007 12:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me some YDs and some Angry Benson too! Duffy is DTM.

1/25/2007 01:37:00 PM  
Blogger griftdrift said...

"that if I said "DON'T print what I just said" that it wouldn't get printed"

Not an uncommon mistake. Closing the barn door after the horse has skedaddled. A good think to remember when dealing with the nasty pressessess, my precious.

1/25/2007 02:03:00 PM  
Blogger griftdrift said...

I think its more like a line Jon Stewart said last night, "commie, lesbian, stem-cell eater".

1/25/2007 02:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benson - I hope you don't mean what you said about sticking with written statements in the future.

I read a story about Paul Begala years ago, in which, during Clinton's '92 presidential campaign, he got riled up in front of the media and said something personal--and out of line--about George H. Bush. (For the life of me, I can't remember what he said.)

Clinton, as the story goes, sat Begala down and told him something to the effect of: You made a mistake, Paul. Don't do it again, but don't get skittish in front of the media either. You do a great job out there swinging for me and I want you to keep it up. And then, he made Begala send Bush a handwritten apology.

As far as I can see, Begala is still out there swinging. And, I think most Democrats and Republicans would agree, Begala is one of the best in the business. I'm glad he didn't get skittish, and I hope you won't either.

Just keep up your good work, Benson!

Great Blog, Shelby!

1/25/2007 02:57:00 PM  
Blogger Aerodad said...

Totally unrelated, but every time I look at the events page and see "4era.org" my mind hears 4-eva! I've been reading too much Myspace.

And speaking of Myspace, someone should post a link to the article as a bulletin from YDAtl. I'd do it but I'm not privvy to the new passwd.

1/25/2007 03:10:00 PM  
Blogger Buffy said...

Here is my question about the article that appeared in the AJC yesterday. Why did the guy quote Mr.Shepard from the Buckhead YR's in the first place? Why did the AJC feel like they needed to do that? Fair and balanced my foot. If the roles were reversed would the AJC feel like they needed to get a quote from Billy Joyner to make the article fair balanced? I have to wonder about that. Mr. Shepard didn't even need to appear in article that was about the YD's and us moving up and proving our worth to the Democratic Party. Mr. Shepard's nose didn't even belong in a article that was suppose to be about us. It makes me want to do the big eye roll thing.

1/26/2007 11:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the State Chairman of the YRs, as well as a Buckhead YR member and former Chairman, I was what the AJC considered making things "fair." Really, to be "fair" they would have done an article on us, not just allowed 2 sentences from the state chairman.

I need to do a better job monorting your blogs I guess. By the way, glad things worked out for y'all in the Geisinger race.

6/04/2007 02:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger


© 2007 Young Democrats of Atlanta.
| home | about | events | join | contribute | act! | blog | links |
Copyright 2003-2007, campaignwindow.com™
Find out how you can create your own political website!