YDATL Blog
NOTE: The opinions expressed by our individual bloggers are their own, and not necessarily those of Young Democrats of Atlanta.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Change: A Marathon Event
Young Democrats of Atlanta

"Once we realize that life is a marathon and not a sprint, things will be much easier." I saw that somewhere and it stuck with me. I say, Life is more than a marathon; it's an Ironman! I'm talking a 2.4-mile ocean swim, a 112-mile bike ride, and a 26.2-mile run.

That also applies to change. Change, as does an Ironman, tends to come about slowly and painfully. I might attack on a major hill because I'm a good climber, pumping my legs furiously on the bicycle, overtaking my competition, but I know as I crest the hill, the leader, that the race isn't over. There's still pain ahead, attacks to make and repel, coasts to conserve energy.

We've just come through a tough primary. The waves were choppy in that water, tiring, but we swam through it. Now we're going into general elections. We're hopping on the bike, ready for a long, tough ride. I feel a little lactic acid in my legs, and I ask myself, "Why am I doing this?"

I'm a Young Democrat because I was disgusted by Bush's victory in the 2004 elections. I couldn't understand why the country reelected him, a man who couldn't tie his shoes without Laura's help. Yes, I'd voted, I'd cheered on the soldiers representing my side, but after that loss, I knew I had to do more. So, I trained. I studied politics. I toned my muscles, joined the team. I resolved myself to a long, sometimes exhilarating, sometimes painful journey.

We're on the bike now, Team. We all know the right direction. Now is the time to think about strategy, to choose the campaigns that mean the most to us and focus on them. For me, it's Melanie Erye's campaign in House District 46 and Jan Hackney's campaign in 48. Any time I have left over will go to Jim Martin for Lt. Governor. We have to figure out how we can best contribute. You may not be a canvasser or a phone banker, but I guarantee you, there's a dire need on any campaign that YOU can fill.

We don't have an easy race ahead of us. It's a tough course. There will be flat tires and crashes and fatigue, but we can finish, and more importantly, we can win! I see a big climb ahead, and I'm going to take it hard, ripping the legs off of the republicans as I go. There will be some pain involved, but it will be nothing compared to the exhilaration of looking to my left and right and seeing my teammates laboring with me.

I figure we'll be transitioning into the run sometime around late October. We'll be tired, but we won't be finished. We'll still be racing toward victory. And when this race is over, and we're victorious, we'll party like rock stars! But we won't forget that life isn't a sprint, a marathon, or even an ironman. It's all of those things strung together, stretching endlessly. Change doesn't come easily. It requires preparation, strategy, hard work, and the realization that the fight is never ending. We have all of the requisites for victory. So let's go! Let's attack! Let's race! Let's win!


Melissa
del.icio.us digg Furl Ma.gnolia NewsVine Reddit Spurl YahooMyWeb

posted by Anonymous at 8/15/2006 11:24:00 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger


© 2007 Young Democrats of Atlanta.
| home | about | events | join | contribute | act! | blog | links |
Copyright 2003-2007, campaignwindow.com™
Find out how you can create your own political website!