YDATL Blog
NOTE: The opinions expressed by our individual bloggers are their own, and not necessarily those of Young Democrats of Atlanta.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Greg Hecht, you scum, you asked for it
Today's blogger
Disclaimer: The opinions in this post are mine and, probably fortunately, have nothing to do with the organizations which I belong to.


I admit it. I've been a naive fool this primary season. I believed Democrats could oppose each other with honor and respect, especially when the Democrats in question were Greg Hecht and Jim Martin, two men with experience, credentials, and integrity.

Oops. I lied about that last bit. Greg Hecht is a dirty swine, as everyone now knows.

Let me preface myself with some background. I had been a Greg supporter since April of last year; I donated money to the man's campaign (which I have asked to be returned). He seemed like a dynamic guy, someone who had a solid message for moderate Georgians of all political persuasions. I had questioned my support for Greg in the light of the gut check I got courtesy of Cathy Cox, but I decided that the right thing, the honorable thing, to do was to to stay loyal to my guy.

Needless to say, recent events changed my thinking; I voted for Jim in the primary, and I'm damn proud of that. I'm not going to go into detail about what everyone already knows now about Greg. What I am going to relate is recent history from Greg, who apparently was lying through his miserable teeth when he claimed he was sorry about the abject lies he told in his mailers.

While volunteering at the Martin headquarters in Midtown on Friday, I learned that apparently a robo-call (what a pathetic M.O.) had gone out from the “Sierra Coalition” - a completely fabricated, made-up organization, as the AJC's Political Insider noted - saying that the group urged a vote against Martin because he allegedly had a zero rating from the group. (Needless to say, the not-fake Sierra Club is not amused.)

As if that weren't enough to permanently destroy every single shred of credibility Greg Hecht ever had inside the perimeter, just tonight it seems that another robo-call has gone out. In this one, as I understand it, the Hecht campaign claimed that Shirley Franklin endorsed Jim Martin because Hecht had been opposed to raising the sales tax for the city of Atlanta.

If we take these two data points as evidence, it seems abundantly clear that not only is Greg Hecht's career as a Democrat over in this state – think Joe “Republican Zell Miller Schmo” Lieberman crossed with Ralph “#1 Hypocrite in America” Reed – everyone foolish enough to still be working for the clusterfuck that is passing as his “campaign” had better consider moving to more hospitable territory, like Idaho. Burning a bridge with a figure of such magnitude as Shirley Franklin is so submoronic and clueless beyond words that I cannot believe that Joe Trippi and whoever other assclowns are running the Hecht campaign have any remote chance of challenging Casey Cagle.

That fact – that the Hecht campaign has less credibility than Jim Bakker and his televangelizing scam artists – brings me to my line in the sand. I loathe Casey Cagle and everything he stands for, but I'd shake his hand before I touched Greg with a ten foot pole. If Greg wins the runoff, I will not vote for him in November. Period. I'm not the first person to say that, either, and I say that if you you're such a sleazebag that you can't get Democratic votes running against Casey Cagle, get the hell out of Georgia politics and never let me see your face again. And Joe Trippi, just plain get the hell out. Bye.
del.icio.us digg Furl Ma.gnolia NewsVine Reddit Spurl YahooMyWeb

posted by Ataru Atlanta at 8/07/2006 11:33:00 PM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg. love the passion...and i agree with you.

i do, however, think the Sierra Coalition thing is humorous.

- Orlando Jones

8/08/2006 07:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to check your facts. If you had done so before posting this rant you would have noticed that the AJC immediately took down its posting about the Sierra Coalition (which is the student arm of of the Sierra Club)robo call because it could not be backed up by any factual findings. No audio. No transcripts. Nothing but the Martin campaign making false accusations. Second Greg DID oppose a tax proposed by Shirley Franklin that would have been a regressive tax food and drugs. Perhaps you would be better served by doing more research instead of embarrasing yourself with these flawed and erroneous accounts of what is going on in the Lt. Govenor race.
Cheers

8/08/2006 11:23:00 AM  
Blogger Ataru Atlanta said...

1) They clearly have not taken it down, seeing how I posted a link to it. If the Martin campaign is making false accusations, then it is on the basis of people calling the campaign office and lying about receiving these phone calls. Let's just have that clear.

2) I never suggested that Greg didn't actually oppose the tax. All I said was that essentially calling out Shirly Franklin on it was astoundingly stupid. I see nothing flawed and erroneous about that, unless you're denying that these calls went out.

8/08/2006 04:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One, there is not a shred of verifiable, credible evidence linking the Hecht campaign to any of these calls that went out to people in GA supposedly discrediting Jim Martin. I say supposedly because the only thing these calls seem to have done is strengthen Martin's campaign. However, I'm not suggesting the Martin campaign actually planned and paid for these calls because I don't make false accusations as you seem so willing to do in your blind faith of the integrity of Jim Martin.

Two, your invective commentary about Greg Hecht fosters parallels to the actions of and the strategy of Republicans for the last decade. The way you've chosen to express your muddled rage is oddly constructed considering your argument engages in the same kind of mischaracterizations and delusive language as the object of your anger- the fliers.

8/10/2006 02:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger


© 2007 Young Democrats of Atlanta.
| home | about | events | join | contribute | act! | blog | links |
Copyright 2003-2007, campaignwindow.com™
Find out how you can create your own political website!