YDATL Blog
NOTE: The opinions expressed by our individual bloggers are their own, and not necessarily those of Young Democrats of Atlanta.

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Saying goodbye
I know today's my regular blog day, but humor me one more time, guys. Tonight will be a time of remembrance for Adam Stevens, and a time to bid a final farewell to someone who was the class of the Young Democrats of Georgia, and a well-loved friend to so many of us personally. It's been a very sad week for us - I know I'm not the only one who's struggled to maintain some semblance of composure and productivity at work. Adam had many friends who remember him for his sweet heart and his untiring work for all the causes we hold dear, and saying goodbye is so hard...

Adam lived in Gwinnett, but that never stopped him from helping out anywhere he was needed. I walked part of SD 40 with Adam for Rick Garnitz in 2004, as well as part of Pat Dooley's House 38 district, and he worked so hard for so many people in that terrible year for us. Heck, he even bailed out the Atlanta Young Dems when I was trying to get some people to walk in the March of Dimes awareness event that year! I don't think I ever repaid that favor to him, and I would give a lot to go back and help the Gwinnett YD's phone bank for the county party a few weeks ago.

That's what one thing that makes Adam a real hero and role model for me - not only did he not seek credit for anything he did, he genuinely didn't want any. He was passionate about what he did for Democrats, but it was never, ever, ever about him, always the cause and the ideals. He was totally fearless and unflappable - defeat never got to him, and he could take rejection and abuse from Republicans without feeling hurt.

I don't know that I could ever really do justice to what Adam meant to me, and everyone, on such a personal level, in some stupid little blog post, and anyway I'd like to at least start off composed tonight. But I would ask you all, whoever and wherever you are, to keep Adam and his family in your thoughts and prayers, and dedicate yourself completely this election year to helping Democrats win - that's what Adam would want, more than our tears and our belated words of praise.

Good ride, cowboy. Happy trails...............
del.icio.us digg Furl Ma.gnolia NewsVine Reddit Spurl YahooMyWeb

posted by Ataru Atlanta at 3/11/2006 04:42:00 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger


© 2007 Young Democrats of Atlanta.
| home | about | events | join | contribute | act! | blog | links |
Copyright 2003-2007, campaignwindow.com™
Find out how you can create your own political website!