YDATL Blog
NOTE: The opinions expressed by our individual bloggers are their own, and not necessarily those of Young Democrats of Atlanta.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

YDAtl Podcast 8 - Congressman John Lewis
Congressman John Lewis delivers an inspirational address to the gang at our Summertime Blue membership drive on August 30th. The Congressman reminds us that Young Democrats have got to do more than just swill beer at Manuel's and talk about how things could be better: "I would come home and ask my mother, my father, my grandparents, my great-grandparents, `Why segregation, why racial discrimination,' and they would say, `That's the way it is. Don't get in the way, don't get in trouble.' One day, I heard about Rosa Parks, I heard the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. on the radio. The action of Rosa Parks, the words of Dr. King inspired me to find a way to get in the way. I got in the way, I got in trouble. It was good trouble, it was necessary trouble. You must get in the way, you must get in trouble."

He also points out that if we're going to be the future of the Democratic Party, we can't wait around for such a legacy to be handed to us: "I say to you Young Democrats of Atlanta, and of Georgia, you must take our state back, you must take our country back, and in doing so you may have to take over the Democratic Party."

Right-click 'n' save (23:22 / 16.8MB)
del.icio.us digg Furl Ma.gnolia NewsVine Reddit Spurl YahooMyWeb

posted by Aerodad at 9/20/2006 12:48:00 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger


© 2007 Young Democrats of Atlanta.
| home | about | events | join | contribute | act! | blog | links |
Copyright 2003-2007, campaignwindow.com™
Find out how you can create your own political website!