YDATL Blog
NOTE: The opinions expressed by our individual bloggers are their own, and not necessarily those of Young Democrats of Atlanta.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

What I Stand For Is Not A Question
Today's blogger I just finished the book Take It Back by James Carville and Paul Begala. They would like for us as Democrats to stop being wimpy and stand up for what we believe as Democrats. Well alright James and Paul I will stand up and shout out loud for the Democratic values that we hold dear. I think though Gretchen Wilson says it best in her new song right now that she sings with the great Merle Haggard. The side note here is that I'm a big country music fan, but still I'm a Democratic go figure that. Its called Political Uncorrect and it goes like this.
"I'm for the low man on the totem pole and I'm for the underdog God Bless his soul and I'm for the guys still pulling third shift and the single mom raisin her kids. I'm for the preachers who stay on their knees and I'm for the sinner who finally believes and the farmer with dirt on their hands and the soliders who fight for this land...chorus and I'm for the Bible and I'm for the flag and the for the working man."
This is the song that I play everytime I head off to one our meetings or head off to some political function of some sort because to me James, Paul and Gretchen have it right. We need to make a stand. Why have the Republicans taken our core values away from us? Why have we let them? Why have we been to scared of the issues that belong to us in the first place. Well enough is enough I say. We need to be shouting from the roof tops that we aren't going to take it anymore. They claim they are the party of Christian moral values. Huh! Are they kidding me? Have they fallen down hitten their heads on something. We are, I hate to tell them. We are the party of tolerance, exceptance and not being judgemetal of those who are different then us. We are more in line with what the Bible teaches then they are. We believe in helping the poor through charity and tax relief. We are the party that wants to perserve what God gave us. We are the party that want to protect the environment so that there will be plenty of green space, clean water and air for future generations. We are the party that really wants to help God's people by providing health care and those social services that a lot of people are in desperate need of. Because let me tell you folks health care is a right and not a privilege like some people would want you to believe. The more right wing crap I hear the more fired up I become. Could someone please tell me why I can't stand behind our military and still be against the war in Iraq? Just because I'm not for the war does not mean I do not stand with our troops who are doing a job that they have been asked to do. Why has the Republican party taken National Sercurity and have made it their own and why does this country seem to think the Republican Party is the party that is going to save us from another terriorist attack? We have to call them on every value they taken away from us and say to them I don't think so.
Let the Sadie Fields, the Pat Robertson, the Senator Santorum's and the whoever else they had better watch out because a Revolution is a coming. The new day will dawn on November 7th when we go to the polls when we Take Back The State and Make The New South the Blue South. Maybe we won't be able to get all done on this election cycle, but we can put them on notice. Because I'm for one aren't going to stand around anymore with my tongue held between my teeth. Everytime I engage in a conversation with a Republican whether it be my brother Hal or my sister Carrie or my Uncle Mike or even my mom's best friend Lois I will tell them exactly where the Democratic Party stands. I'm going to take Paul and James's advice and I'm going to take the fight to them. I'm no longer going to be accused of being a wimp or being afraid of issues that we have a better stance on because we are in the minority. The line in the sand has been drawn and war has been declared on Our Democratic Values and I for one are taking them back. We have to win this fight. Because as Alisha Thomas Morgan said the people who need us they us now. I had saying once when my mom was going through chemotherpy and holds true for this as well Failure is Not a Option.

Melissa Thompson
del.icio.us digg Furl Ma.gnolia NewsVine Reddit Spurl YahooMyWeb

posted by Anonymous at 4/18/2006 09:01:00 AM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favorite political soundbytes of 2004 came from Al Sharpton: It's time for the "right Christians" to defeat the "Christian right."

You're right, Melissa, the democratic party is the party of Christian values, but our inclusivenss--and we're in the right there, too--of people from all beliefs makes it harder for us to talk about that. Some democrats hold values of compassion because they're Christians, others hold them simply because they care; still, we're all democrats.

The problem is, our inclusiveness and tolerance drive some Christians to the republican party. Even if we can't bring those Christians back--though, we should try our hardest to do so--we should drive our message home to them. If you're unwilling to vote democrat b/c of one or two social issues you oppose, you should still support us on healthcare. You should still support us on helping the poor. I

4/18/2006 04:01:00 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I've been hearing a lot of this sort of thing from the grassroots level, and I think it's great, but it seems to trickle out the higher one climbs in the Democratic party food chain. Any suggestions/ideas how we can get more members of the state and national party to stand up and speak out and, I don't know, seem less wimpy?

4/18/2006 10:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger


© 2007 Young Democrats of Atlanta.
| home | about | events | join | contribute | act! | blog | links |
Copyright 2003-2007, campaignwindow.com™
Find out how you can create your own political website!