YDATL Blog
NOTE: The opinions expressed by our individual bloggers are their own, and not necessarily those of Young Democrats of Atlanta.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Glorify the Glorious
Today's bloggerSo I went for a run tonight. I was thinking about my blog and what I would write about. Really was thinking I would put something out there on this “Fair Tax” crap we keep hearing about. We’re all going to have to get savvy about how to talk about taxes in the months leading up to November. I mean, who’s against “Fair Taxes?” You can’t be against Fair Taxes.

Long run, long train of thought. But suffice it to day I got frustrated as I went in a mental loop about values and the way we think of and talk about national goals and how to pay for the programs that will help us reach those goals. I got depressed for a minute realizing how far we’ve come since those immortal words were spoken, “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.” I was running along, angry, thinking, nobody gives a shit about anything but themselves anymore. And we GLORIFY selfishness and consumption. We can’t talk to the middle class in Sandy Springs or anywhere else about paying a commensurate share towards group goals like investment in basic science, universal health care, community green space. All people want is to wear the same clothes as Paris Hilton. Damn Paris Hilton. I thought as I ran.

Then I thought, well, can you blame her? Who am I to judge? Maybe I would do the same thing with my money and influence. Would we really choose any differently?

Then I thought, YES! Yes, we would choose differently. We DO IN FACT choose differently! The problem is, no one is glorifying the real heroes anymore. We glorify superficial appearance, not real beauty. We glorify materialism, not courage. We glorify thinness and wealth. We should glorify persistence and commitment.

That’s when it hit me. We have truly glorious people in our very midst. About time we glorify the truly glorious.

So, I am unveiling a new project. Not exactly a Project for a New American Century, but not bad for a Monday night. My new project will be a blog with exciting news and sightings of the TRULY glorious. It will be called…….Page-arazzi.

And here’s the first installment.

New It-Thing Page Gleason was sighted Sunday afternoon at Six Flags Over Georgia. In typical tireless fashion, she was participating in a day of teambuilding for the Young Democrats of Atlanta. That's so HOT. While her publicist couldn’t be reached for comments, bystanders reported that she “totally loved [the new roller-coaster] Goliath.” From reports, she was wearing a Young Democrats of Atlanta t-shirt ($15.00, available on the YDAtl website), a Blog for Democracy button with the cryptic inscription “ITMFA” (the MySpace universe is atwitter with possible meanings – but who cares what it means?? If Page is wearing it, you KNOW you have to have one. Adding to the cool factor, they are NOT available for purchase online, at least not that our crack editing staff could find. You must attend an event where Page is and purchase one – nominal donation to a great cause.) She was also sporting a “TJ Copeland” political button (TJ, of course, being another cool drink of water from hot hot hot District 65 in south Fulton. Check him out here.) Asked about her shorts, Ms. Gleason smiled mysteriously and said, “they’re vintage.”

Check back often for more news of Page’s tireless service to progressive causes! Coming soon: pix and tips on where to go if you want to run into Page. Page is the Rage! Party on, girlfriend. The Democratic Party, that is.
del.icio.us digg Furl Ma.gnolia NewsVine Reddit Spurl YahooMyWeb

posted by Emily at 6/12/2006 10:30:00 PM

6 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Great Blog Emily! You are going to one up today! I have said it before I will say it we should have drafted Page for Governor or something. She inspires me to work hard and to keep working even when I'm tired and I think to myself why I'm out here in the out sun again canvassing? Oh right! I almost forgot because its for the Revolution that I'm doing this and for fighting the good fight. That is also when I dig deep within inside myself and channel my best Page and keep pushing until the walk sheet is spent.

Melissa

6/13/2006 08:33:00 AM  
Anonymous erin said...

Okay. This is a sick confession, but one of my addictions is this website called The Superficial. And before anyone makes jokes about the implications of this and my character, let me just say that I think we need to do a YDAtl Superficial/PageSix. Emily is on to something. The glamorous and swinging liberals of YDAtl hitting up the glitz and the glamour of ACLU lectures, the GA Assembly, Manuel's, and the occasional conspiracy theory. Hot people who stand for hot issues. Totally hot.
But that's the thing...the sick thing...about the celebrity obsession in this country. It stands for nothing; they stand as nothing but figureheads of a very profitable industry. When I lived in Manhattan, it constantly amazed me at how such empty, stupid people could form a self-sufficient bubble of their own egos within the Entertainment world. That being said, many people in politics are no different. There's a lot to be said for being angry, for giving a shit, and for realizing that Paris Hilton's image is nothing but an empty lie.

I'm sure this is all just a simple misunderstanding. How is Paris Hilton supposed to know having the IQ of a ferret doesn't qualify her as handicapped? She has the IQ of a ferret. She can't figure that shit out on her own. It's like a vicious cycle."- The Superficial.com, on Paris parking in a handicapped spot and hitting a parked car.

6/13/2006 09:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Page Gleason, hot?

What are you smoking?

6/19/2006 03:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that aint right

6/19/2006 05:25:00 PM  
Blogger Justice said...

Anonymous blogger (first anonymous blogger, that is), WTF? As my friend Moira would say, who does that??? Umm...anyhow, thanks, Emily, for inspiring us to find fun and sex appeal in our dedication to political causes. Committed and passionate people like many in the YDAtl (Page is a fantastic example!) membership deserve the attention and adoration currently lavished on the likes of Jennifer Anniston.

Want to hang out with the YDAtl hotties this weekend? Volunteer at Pride!

6/19/2006 06:06:00 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Actually, Anonymous is joining us from the land of split personalities, and he's talking to himself from the computer, according to Ye Olde Sitemeter. He's dropped by like four times today.

Anonymous has problems.

I have a problem, too. I have lost my sexy DEM croptop t-shirt for slinging beer at Pride! There go my tips.

6/19/2006 06:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

 

Previous Posts

Powered by Blogger


© 2007 Young Democrats of Atlanta.
| home | about | events | join | contribute | act! | blog | links |
Copyright 2003-2007, campaignwindow.com™
Find out how you can create your own political website!